Thursday, September 15, 2011

West Caribbean Cruise - Falmouth, Jamaica (Blog 4 of 11)

Falmouth, Jamaica was the next port we've visited after Labadee.  This is a new port of call that Royal Caribbean opened at the beginning of 2011.  Well, there were nothing to do here since a lot of places were still under construction.  It's safe to be within the gate inside the 'port area' but once you are out there...gosh!!  Local vendors rushed to you trying to sell you stuffs once you stepped out of the gate...  Cops and information guide were everywhere just to protect you!!  Crazy port but bored!

Getting close to the pier.  This is Jamaica, I can't believe this is another 'Lantau Island'...sort of.

Here is the pier.


As the ship was getting close to the pier, it flipped around so that the end went in first.  This is the current the ship has caused when it was flipping around.

10am in the morning, and it was hot like hell already!

This is the Falmouth pier.

The building is still under construction, this port is not fully opened yet...

This is the east side of the pier.

This is within the gate area of the Falmouth port, which I will consider this area as safe.  Locals dressed up to welcome us.

Live band.

Local vendors selling wine.  They have to be licensed to sell within the gate area.

More local vendors.



This vendor is selling hand crafted products here.

It's nice and clean here, buildings are new too.




Hand made crafts.

This guy sells coconuts here, you can buy the drink from him.

Walking out of the pier area.  See that gate at the far end on the left?!  It's another world out there...

...Don't know how historic this place is...

First thing I saw after I stepped out the gate:  Police!

Different street vendors rushed to you once you've crossed the street.  I didn't really have a chance to see those things that they were selling as I had to walk fast and pass them...

That guy with the flag...you took a picture of him, and he asked you for tips!!  Lucky that I bought something at the pier and I got a 25 cent change, so I gave it to him...

Local business.  This is a nice house already compared to others within the district.

Local gas station.

Street of Falmouth, Jamaica.

Historical building, which I'm not too sure of what this is.

Waaa.....so many coconuts here!

I think this is some sort of fruit, breadfruit maybe?  It's everywhere and the size is huge too!

Most of the houses in Falmouth are like this, some are even worse...

Another shot of the street view in Falmouth...it's kinda developing here and I'm kinda surprised that Royal Caribbean has chosen this place to build a port.

Is this historic to you?!

A huge difference between the inside and outside of the pier gate huh!

'New Hong Kong Bay Chinese Restaurant'!!

This is another kind of fruit I see everywhere in Falmouth.

A million years old church.

This is a tourist site so you can see a lot of street vendors here.

Another shot of the street vendors.

A shot taken inside of this historic church.

Local street view.

This is a local supermarket.  Most of the stuff they sell here are imported goods.

More street view.


I wasn't in town for long 'coz it was so hot here.

I randomly picked a food vendor (inside the pier gate) and ordered a jerk chicken here.

Gosh!!  This was the worse jerk chicken I've ever tasted!!  Chicken was dry, rice was stone hard, and the guy used his hand (with no glove) and put those lettuce & tomato there!!  My husband refused to eat outside of the gate 'coz he is afraid the food is not clean and he will have diarrhea.

Local craftsman.

I headed back to my ship and had more lunch at Windjammer.  This was my view while I had lunch, but too bad this dock area was still under construction and it was closed.

I headed back out again after lunch.  I think this is the ideal port they want to develop in Falmouth.

This building looks neat but I don't know what this is.  One of the historical building I guess.

Across from the yellow building, there are more street vendors.

Another historical building...

I was getting bored so I headed back to the ship.

A shot at the east from the ship.

A shot of the downtown area.  This whole town is still in development.  There is a slum area further north and I guess that's where the workers live.

This isn't a big area so there really aren't a lot of things to do here...  You can join some excursions though, but they are quite far from the town.

West side of the town.

I was killing time with my husband at the deck as it wasn't time for supper yet.  We bought this Panasonic camera 'coz it has the under water camera function.


This camera is so cool!!  It has the GPS and compass function!

See. it displayed the location of where we are at - Jamaica~~

No comments: