Sunday, September 18, 2011

West Caribbean Cruise - Dinner @ Main Dining Hall (Blog 7 of 11)

Windjammer and the main dining hall are the two main eatery in Freedom of the Seas that you don't need to pay extra to eat.  My main seating at the dining hall was at 6pm on deck 3 and I eat there every single day.  =)  After that I stormed up to Windjammer to have my 2nd round!  I've taken over 200 photos for both eatery combined so instead of doing one blog about dinner, I will separate this into two blogs.

 Leonardo's, my main dining hall's name, located on deck 3 of the ship.

 Here is a glance at my dining hall.  There are 3 levels in total.

 My table is next to a window where I can overlook at the sea while enjoying dinner.

 This is my table and it can fit 10 guests altogether.

Day 1 dinner:
 PS, there are 4 pages of menu altogether and this is only page 1.

 The server came with a tray of bread once you're seated and I picked my favorite: sour dough.

 Appetizer:  some sort of quiche with sauce...I forgot...

 Appetizer: some sort of salmon salad.  This dish tasted extremely gooood!!!  100+++!!

 A closer shot of the salmon salad.

 Main course:  Pan Seared Sea Bass.  This fish tasted not bad too!

 Main course: Black Angus Top Sirloin.

 Steak was cooked to perfection.  I've ordered medium rare here.  However, those veggies that came along with the dish didn't taste good...

 Dessert: Strawberry Meringue.  The meringue was too sweet which I don't like...

Dessert:  forgot the exact name but it has some peach cinnamon and topped with an ice-cream scope.

Ice and fire!!  The peach and ice-cream matches perfectly when eating together!!

Day 2 dinner:
The bottom part of the menu is the same everyday but the top part of the menu changes daily.

Bread before meal.  I don't know what this is....it's covered with poppy seed and the whole piece is crunchy.

This bun looks yum....so I tried it out..

I thought it's cheese inside but neh...it's something else.  Tasted so so.

Appetizer:  Lobster Bisquette, this soup didn't have any lobster taste...it was a bit salty and tasted bitter indeed...

Appetizer: bake escargot in garlic sauce.  Escargot was kinda small and I didn't know what I was eating...

Appetizer:  Cocktail shrimp

Jumbo shrimp tasted good.  This ship seldom offer shrimps...don't know why.  So we eat it whenever we have a chance.

Main course:Grilled seafood Brochette.

This shrimp tasted good.  It would be nice if they put two skewers on the plate instead of one...

Main course: Roasted duck.  I thought they were serving us duck breast instead of this...  Well, the duck paired very well with those red thing there!!!  It was sooooo good!!!!!  A very nice dish!!

Dessert menu.

Dessert: Bittersweet chocolate souffle.  Well, this souffle was so so....I was expecting those sauce poured within the souffle to be sweet but it wasn't.  =)

Dessert: Sugar-free coconut vanilla later cake.  Gosh!!  This cake looks so ordinary but it tasted sooo good!!  Cake was moist, fresh and full of coconut flavor!!

Taking pictures of misc things while killing time here.  =)

We had a very nice sunset this day.

The other side of the sunset is mist, a very big contrast.

Day 3 dinner:
Part of the dinner menu.

Trying different types of bread each day...

...And my favorite bun is always this one:  sour dough.

Appetizer: Beef carpaccio.  This beef was good.  It tasted like smoked beef jerky!  It paired very well with the salad on top.

Appetizer: Calm chowder.  Honestly, I think Campbell's New England Calm Chowder tasted a lot better than this soup here.  This soup has no calm inside and it was kinda watery...no good...

Appetizer:  (we were getting outrageous as we ordered more appetizers and main course each day....) Crab cake.

This crab cake didn't taste good to me...  There weren't any taste of crab and the cake itself was a bit mushy.

Main course:  Beef stroganoff.  Honestly, I didn't expect this dish to be like this...  It's more like a Chinese stir fried beef with veggies you know?!

Main course: Sole fillet.  This dish didn't taste good either.  You can tell that the fish was first frozen then defrost 'coz there were a lot of 'water' within the fish....tasted no freshness at all.

Dessert menu.

Dessert: Berrymisu.  This mousse cake tasted not bad, full of berry flavor.

Dessert: Orange chocolate parfait.  Although this dessert didn't have a lot of orange flavor (which I like), the overall flavor of this parfait is full and settled.  Very nice.

Dessert:  Sky High Lemon Meringue Tart.  Very nice presentation but I forgot how it tasted...

Day 4 dinner:
After shooting the 1st page of the menu for several days, I realized that the bottom part of the menu always remains the same.  So...I took a picture of this, which is the 3rd page of the menu.

Appetizer: Pork and cabbage dumpling.  We have dumplings in our Chinese culture and I'm surprise to see them here on their menu.  I bet you these dumplings must be from frozen packages.  LOL!  Nothing special to me....the sauce yet was too light.  Well, I should say, the sauce was tasteless!

Appetizer: Forgot the name of this soup but it tasted sooooo GROSS!!  I had one spoon and that's enough...

Appetizer:  Crab noodle.  Best ever cold noodle I've ever tasted!  There were more crab meat underneath the noodle!  It has a citrus taste and it was extremely good!!

Appetizer:  Mixed melon.  My husband had it and he said it was good.  Not sure why they've added the salad dressing there...

Main course: Pan-Fried Basa Fillet.  This fillet was soft, tender and well flavored!  Side dish were very delicious too!!

Main course: Surf & Turf.  Shrimp was good as usual.  The meat was dried and chewy...

They had this new item in their bread tray today: banana muffin.  This muffin wasn't too sweet and the texture was good.  It's very spongy and moist.  Nice!  =)

Dessert menu.

Dessert: Passion berry mousse.  Just an ordinary mousse, nothing really special.

Dessert: Coconut creme brulee.  This thing tasted oh-my-godingly good!!!  It has a strong coconut flavor which I like.  I finished this one and I had another 4 of these up in the Windjammer!  =P

Dessert: Lot fat mango pudding.  This pudding didn't taste good...it has no mango flavor at all!!

Day 5 dinner:
I took pictures of different menu this time.

Main course menu.

Appetizer menu.

I was the only one at the dining table...my husband went up to the Windjammer to 'eat first' and he came down here to join me at 6pm...  In fact, we were the only guests at the table tonight!

Super starved, I had several sour dough and some other breads.

2nd formal night tonight.  So many utensils at my seat...

Appetizer: Double duck consomme.  Well....I tasted no duck here...  It's just an ordinary American MSG soup...

Appetizer: Creamed wild mushroom in puff pastry.  My husband said this dish was good!

Appetizer: Seafood Salad.  Well, two shrimps, a small piece of scallop and a slice of smoke salmon...  I should have ordered several of these!! .....just joking!  =)

Our waiter Ronald and his assistant waitress Yvonne serving us during our cruise.  PS, see those covered up plates on the left side of the picture?!  That's food!  Mmm......

Main course: Slow-roasted aged prime rib.  That's actually a big piece of meat.  I ordered medium rare, well I should have ordered medium.  The meat was soft, but didn't have a lot of taste, and because of the steak is kinda too rare, the tendon part was hard to chew.

This is the other side of the dish.  The steak was too big and it covered up everything behind!  LOL!  Those cubic veggies didn't taste good to me, it's just too hard.

Main course: New England Bay Scallops and Ziti.  That pasta was a bit too hard and dried, not enough sauce...or perhaps it's the pasta itself?  The chef at Windjammer cooked million times better than this!

Main course: Fisherman's Plate. Shrimp tasted extremely good.  Lobster was okay, but I expected it to be more fresh...  Our server helped us to get the meat out from the lobster shell.  Each elderly was served twice on this lobster dish, and we youngsters only served one plate...

Dessert Menu

Dessert: Sugar free red berry tart.  Nothing really attracts me from the menu and I just randomly picked something.

Dessert: Dessert Sampler.  My husband had ordered this for himself.

Day 6 dinner:
Dinner menu chef recommendation

Appetizer menu

Main course menu.

Appetizer:  Antipasti.  I was expecting more stuff here but it just came with some cooked zucchini and a slice of prosciutto.  I always don't like eating salty ham with fruit, so I gave that fruit to my husband.

New type of bread from the bread tray, but I didn't try it.  My husband had it instead.

Appetizer: Scallop Risotto.  Scallop was nice but the risotto was too raw!!  Worse than under cooked rice...no good!  I was half full after eating this risotto...

Main course: Lamb shank.  this lamb was extremely good!!  The meat was soft, tender and juicy!!

Main course: Filet of Atlantic Cod.  My husband had this mainly and I don't know how it tasted like...

Main course: Garlic Tiger Shrimp.  ...I expected the tiger shrimp was larger in size...and peeled!!  Well, the shrimp was good since it has a lot of garlic flavor, but it's just too small in size.  Rice was good though!!  It's not plain rice at all, it has all sorts of flavor there!!  Very good!

Dessert menu

Dessert: Tiramisu.  Well, this cake didn't have any Rum taste...but it was okay though.

Dessert: Raspberry Panna Cotta.  It has a very settled berry flavor, not bad.

A very nice view at the sea today.  =)

Day 7 dinner:
Chef menu

Appetizer menu

Main course

Chef's signature menu

Appetizer: Moroccan-spiced Chicken Salad.  That corn chip was soft instead of crisp!  Chicken was too dry and it's hard to swallow without the dipping sauce...

Appetizer: Onion soup.  .....Where is the cheese??!!  There were supposed to be a layer of cheese on top of the soup but there weren't any there!!  Instead, they've placed a piece of bread inside.  Soup wasn't that great.....I think I can cook better than that!

Appetizer: Shrimp cocktail.  The only repeated item on the daily menu, yet I don't mind having this everyday!  =)

Main course: Grilled NY strip steak.  Very nice presentation!

Here is a side shot of the dish.

Main course: Roasted turkey.  Turkey was dry and tasteless, but it tasted not bad when eating with cranberry sauce.

Main course: Shrimp & Mahi Mahi Tempura.  Batter was too thick, but nothing really special other than that.

A side cut of the steak.  I've ordered a medium rare steak and this is what it looks like.  Very nice coloring and stuff but the steak was tasteless...no beef taste at all and doesn't taste fresh fresh!

Dessert menu

Dessert: Banana And Crunchy Nut Parfait.  I can continuing eating this forever!  It tasted soooo good!!  This thing was very creamy with a light banana flavor.

Dessert: Lot Fat Apple Cake.  This cake is too hard!!  Very hard!!  Hard and dry..no good!

2 comments:

  1. I have discovered your blog today and I love it!! You make very beautiful things and your tutorials are very good ..
    Dhow Cruise Dinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Dhow Cruise Dinner is perfect place where you taste best taste according to your demand.

    ReplyDelete