Monday, September 19, 2011

West Caribbean Cruise - Cozumel, Mexico (Blog 8 of 11)

Our last port of call was Cozumel, Mexico.  We had an excursion in the afternoon, so we rushed to the downtown area once the ship has docked.  Downtown Cozumel is 3 miles down the pier, so we took a taxi there (standard US$7 for 2 people, approx 5 mins ride).  Our shopping guide told us to get off at Forum shops and started our journey there, which we did.  Cozumel is a nice place which I'm sure I will go back again!!  =)

Getting close to the pier at Cozumel, Mexico.

There are 3 ships altogether at Cozumel including our ship on the day of our arrival.

This is such a nice and quiet place!

You see a white line across the sea here in the picture?  That's mainland Mexico.

Hi Carnival!!  We meet again!!

We've got off the ship.  These are the excursions meeting place.


These vendors sell their goods within the pier area.  They need to be licensed I guess.


Another vendor at the pier.

Beyond this terminal is where our ship has docked, and you need to have your sea pass to get in.  We took a taxi from here to the Forum Shops.

Downtown Cozumel is located next to the sea shore.

Here it is!! Forum Shops!  This place is where Diamonds International and other high end jewelery shops locate.  I came here not to buy jewelery, but to get a free charm from DI and enjoyed some free Margarita.  =)

This 'artist' was in the store to welcome us.

Di Lounge offer free Margarita on the 2nd floor.  The Margarita was good!!  It was like drinking slushy sweet Tequila.

A view from Di Lounge.

Here is another shot from Di Lounge.

Diamond dream factory.  These workers are processing diamond here.

Surprise to see a T-Rex skull in a jewelery store...

Mexico is famous for its Tequila, and there are so many kinds of it.

More Tequila here!

Street view of Cozumel.


Must be saying something like, ' I've lost my Chihuahua, it's black and white in color....?...  I need to ...??....'
These pretty statues are everywhere in downtown Cozumel.

Local crafts.


Museum of the Island of Cozumel?!  Something like that?!

Cute cars huh?!  This is one of the excursion that the cruise has offered.  I was told that all 3 ships group their excursions together here, instead of doing it ship by ship...

Another local vendor.

More statues.



Cute little decors.



This is another pier at Cozumel.

You can join the excursions offered by your cruise or you can do the excursions locally.  Here local offers 'glass bottom boat', where you can sit in the boat and see through the glass underneath.

Norwegian, one of the ship arrived Cozumel before us.

Downtown street view

More street view here.

This is one of the off shore restaurant that the cruise has recommended.

Local craft.

Downtown Cozumel map


Soldier with a gun?!!

Hand paint decor.

A closer shot of his drawing.



I received whole bunch of free gifts when I was walking down the street in Downtown Cozumel....

Vendors just simply say, 'I have a free gift for you, please come in'.  They usually give you free charms or little gem stones....

All they want you to do is go into their shops and take a look, no purchase necessary.  =)

So...what you have to do to get their attention is that, hold a local map in your hand when you walk down the street!!  Just a simple map you get from your ship before you leave will do!  =D

Cheap liquor!!  That's really a good deal!

An eatery place....in Chinese too!

More local crafts.







These can be good souvenirs!


Mickey D!!


Instead of throwing away those unused ketchup and sauce, McDonald encourages you to put those packages here in this container!


Local bar


 First president of Cozumel?!


 Hand made bracelet, $5 each (which I think you can bargain).  They can finish these bracelets in 5 minutes with your name on it.



 A picture on the wall.




 These decor are made from shells.  I was told that we can't bring these thing back into Canada, if not I would have bought one and put it in my fish tank!  LOL!

 This is so Mexican!




 It's almost time for our afternoon excursion and we were heading back to the pier.




 Street view of Cozumel

 Here is my afternoon activity: bottom fishing!  My husband has never fish in his life and this is his first time going fishing.  He was soooo excited!!

 A local bar operates inside the pier area.

 We got on to this small boat here and gone fishing.

 Water is extremely clear here in Cozumel, you can see the bottom here.

 There were only 5 of us including me participating in this excursion.

 Heading to a fishing ground up in the north.

 Passing by the shore.

 Another Carnival has joined us!!  I guess that's the same one I saw these days.

 Hotel under construction I guess.



 Parachuting

 We passed by Norwegian too!

 OKay, we were almost there!

 Fish bait~  These were prepared and cut into pieces by our guide.

 Everything is set and we started fishing!

 My husband's first catch of the day!  This fish was pretty big, bigger than his face at least.  I forgot the name of this fish though....

 My first catch of the day, Strawberry Grouper.  This dump fish didn't even have a chance to eat my bait and it was hooked!  PS, this fish looks big huh?!!  Neh!!  It's smaller than my palm!!

 They are our guide.  Instead of holding the rod and feel the vibration from it's tip, they just feel the movement directly from the fishing line.  I called it '把脈'!


 Shortly after I caught the 2nd fish, here comes my 3rd catch of the day: Banana Fish!

 This guy nearly catch a big fish, but the fish has broke the fishing line and gone!

 My husband's 2nd catch of the day, which I forgot the name of this fish.

 Two baits in a rod!!  My husband is hoping for a double catch.

 Part of the fish baits.

 We caught nothing else and it was time to return to the pier.

 The guide threw this dead fish into the sea just to attract more fish over.

 This local juice looks nasty but it actually tasted good!!  It's an apple soda!!  Love it!!  I drank 4 bottles of these within 2 hours!

 Passing by Norwegian again.


 A closer shot of the fishing rod.  You need to pay US$150 if you drop the rod into the sea.

 Cozumel~~

 Lord...look at how they've treated my fish.....  =(

 Getting close to the pier now.

 Local vendors selling their goods inside the pier area.


 Mexico license plate.

 I can't guess this message here...  No parking?!

 Long beans!!

 Surprise to see that the locals placed these coral in the ground to form the pavement.  This happened in Falmouth as well.

 These scooters must be for rental!

 I went back into the pier.  More picture of the local vendors.





 Hot sauce!!



 It's time to go back to my ship now!

 Bye Cozumel!

 Ring of free gifts.  I got all these charms/bracelets/necklaces from Cozumel.  Only 2-3 pieces are from Grand Cayman.  The most distinct gift I've received is from Tanzanite International, which is a pair of tanzanite ear stud!!

No comments: