Monday, July 23, 2012

Waterfront Night Market 大統華 T&T 湖濱夜市 2012, Toronto

Once a year, T&T supermarket held a Waterfront Night Market event at their Downtown location.  This event is very similar to Taste of Asia or Night It Up Markham.  You can find tons of street food, entertainments, midway and general merchandise there.  This event is a lot better than I've expected, lots of fun and things to see.  However, finding a parking spot at the site is a headache!   You can either park on the street (hard to find a spot) or pay $5 and park across from the site, which I think this is a rip off...  

I was here too early, the sky was still very bright and the event still hasn't start yet.

T&T Supermarket, Downtown location.

Here is one of the entrance to the event.

See, vendors were still setting up their booth, it was kinda empty at this point.

Time flies and it was getting crowded.

Games & amusement rides from WNM Midway.

This is one of the games....that stuffed chicken looks so sad...

Diana's Seafood, one of the vendor that you won't miss in the event.

Here is their booth.

Cases of fresh oysters, open right in front of you.

Looks fresh but too bad, I don't eat oysters~  =P

Canada Dry is setting up their booth here as well!

Giving out free Canada Dry samples, coupons and goodies.

Help kids with autism, a fund raising booth for autistic children.

Grilled skewers, you see grill skewers everywhere at these food events...

Curry fish balls and beef balls.


Waa-laaaa....!!
This lady is trying to sell skewers and curry fish/beef balls here.

Kashmiri BBQ.  Kashmir, located in southwest China, very close to Yun-nan(雲南) I guess?!

My husband said this girl looks like one of the TVB artist/model, and he kept asking me to take pictures of her.  Ok ok, there you go!

Lamb biryani, I've made this myself before but unfortunately I've added too much water to the rice....  =P

Skewers and grilled chicken drum sticks.

BBQ quail eggs.  I guess these are pretty hard to grill huh??!

Stinky tofu.  Skewers, tako balls and stinky tofu, these are the three 'big hits' in the night market.

Side kicks for stinky tofu.

No joke but my body was full of the stinky tofu smell when I left this place!!

Tako balls....they weren't in shape yet...

More skewers....

Grilled king mushroom actually taste good, I've tried it in a Korean BBQ place.

These skewers look very moist, I wonder if they've put some sauce on it or something...

Heee....first time seeing fresh honeydew and cantaloupe juice other than watermelon and pineapple juice.

Beef skewers, their beef looks very nice!

Here is a closer shot.

Our local brand 'Rooster' has a booth here as well, this is my first time seeing their booth among all events.

Heee.....they're giving out free samples here, just choose from mung bean vermicelli, oyster sauce, luncheon meat, noodle, coconut milk and soya sauce!!  Its all yours for free!

Pres Choice is giving out free ice-cream samples as well!

Choose from 4 flavors: dark chocolate, rainbow, tiger tail (??) and mango, this is my cute little rainbow cone.

This vendor here is selling um...assorted precious stones??!  There are lots to choose from.

Um....quartz?!  Should be more than that!

Balloon for kids.

Subie demo?!  It doesn't look like a Subie to me though...I'm too old for sport cars!  LOL!

Swab your cheeks, save a life.

Assorted drinks prepared by T&T.

Um...I don't know what this is, perhaps its flour dough dipped in crunchy peanut and sugar?!

Crashed ice, a very famous Taiwanese dessert.  Right??!

Looks attractive but I don't know what this is...

Grilled lobster and whelk, looks yum but there is a huge line up!!

Scallop wrapped with bacon, this one looks yum too!

Mush be pop corn chicken bites and deep fried chicken wings?!

BBQ short rib.

Deep fried golden shrimp (I made up the name myself), this is what the shrimp looks like before fried.

Skewers again.  This one is a bit different 'coz the food vendor used metal stick to grill the meat.

I was trying to take a picture of the booth only, didn't expect she posted for me!  Hehehhe.....

Grilled Filipino sausage!  Yum!

Tako balls...  7 balls left?!  Must be 'buy 6 get 1 free'!  LOL!

Uncooked squid tentacles might look terrible....

...But once cooked, they're one of the most delicious food at the night market.

See, only 1 skewer left!!  =)

Tako balls again, all good to go.

I have no clue of what this is at all...  Doesn't seems like this booth is serving anything except this item here...

Filipino/Malaysian shrimp rolls.

This booth here is serving S'pore-Thai style fried oyster omelet and pat thai.

The chef is now cooking fried oyster omelet...

Honestly, this looks a lot better than the 'other' one...but again, I don't eat oyster, so I can't assume.

Here comes the pat thai.

Question: what's that white stuff?  It doesn't look like rice noodle at all....

.....Or maybe its rice noodle??!  This is the product....

.....I'll pass!!

There are lots of sampling booths at the night market here.

More food samples.  This one is from Campbell's if I remembered correctly.

More tako balls here.

Dyed mini octopus.

Deep fried squid tentacles.  These look more attractive than those served at the dim sum place.  =)

what about those on the left??!

Another deep fried items.

Deep fried tofu and ??  Nice presentation!

Curry fish balls

Waa....fish balls, pork skin and radish in Satay sauce maybe?!

Assorted skewers fish balls and seafood skewers.

Looks yum!!

Steamed siu mai & fish balls!

Kamayan Filipino cuisine.  I should give Filipino cuisine a shot one day, but first I need to find a Filipino restaurant to eat first.

I guess this booth sells fresh fruit juice...  Their booth is pretty big but unfortunately it remains empty although the event has already started a while ago.

Strawberries in ice water, that's all they've got.

This chef here is making oyster pancakes.  First pan fried some tiny frozen oysters.

Pour batter in evenly and let it cook for a while.

Divide pancakes into serving portion and add lettuce.

Like this, cook for a while and flip it over.

Pour sauce on top before serving.  Done!

Wei's smelly tofu booth again, huge line up as usual.

All they do is deep fried the tofu-s.  See those big white buckets?!  They're all tofu-s!!

They might have close to 10 staff working at this booth!

See these smelly tofu-s?!  Looks yum!!

Tako balls again.

Stir fried udon with fish cake and veggies.

Sugar cane shrimp.  Serving portion looks a bit small...

Ah-ha!!  Fresh pineapple juice!

Um....french fries with mayo?!

Deep fried shrimp roll.

Deep fried items again.

Tornado potatoes, this is the only booth here selling tornado potatoes tonight.

Verve, some sort of new energy drink?!!  I wish I can try some but this booth doesn't provide free samples easily.

I was trying to take a picture of this guy drawing the picture here, but he saw me snapped and stepped back!

Here is the entertainment stage.

Dancing lion and....dragon??!  That dancing lion is so funny!  Look at him, he is sleepy!!  HAHAHHA!!

Now he is bored!!  Forced to listen to a speech for over 5 mins...I'm bored too, I won't blame him!  LOL!!

Getting ready??!  =D

Game starts!!  Woohoo~~~

Honestly, this is my first time seeing dragon dance...  Its kinda awkward that the dragon is pink in color...

Dancing lion bringing luck to this vendor here by dancing in front of their booth.

Fan dance/exercise.

Time passed and its getting very crowded here.

Here is a shot at the busy kitchen.  Time to leave now.

5 comments:

  1. I bet all of the sample booths are from Loblaws or "friends" of loblaws, which as far as i know, these sample booths are "promoters" as well as "booth fillers" to not have empty booths in the night market lol

    hareluya

    ReplyDelete
  2. 來來去去都係呢班人....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 最後一日咁難得嘅十號風球都俾我撞正,真好彩!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha better than my friend visiting from HK, "哎呀,唔見咗半日假期" LMAO

      hareluya

      Delete
    2. 好難得撞到十號風球, 你真好彩, 有冇出去追吓風呀? 有冇去地鐵站或機場瞓吓地下呀? 感受吓打風樂趣.

      Delete