Sunday, February 26, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake Cookie

I've seen and eaten strawberry shortcakes (my favorite is from La Rocca!!) but I've never heard of strawberry shortcake cookie.  Mom grabbed this recipe from the net and modified part of it and made this cookie.  I never have a chance to try it still, so I don't know how it tastes like.  I guess you can substitute the strawberry with other fruits like um...blueberry and peach a well...perhaps??!  PS, Mom, if you're reading this post, here is your next assignment:  Strifti!!  Think about it!  =D


Ingredients:
  • 12   ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (2 cups)
  • 1     teaspoon freh lemon juice
  • 1/2  cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2     cup all-purpose flour
  • 2     teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon coarse salt
  • 3     ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3  cup milk
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling 
Here I have a box of fresh strawberry.

Dice it up

Add in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, mix well.

In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar.

Strawberry part is done.

Butter needs to be chilled first.

Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in milk until dough starts to come together.

Like this.

Done.

Stir in strawberry mixture.


Like this.

Here is a closer shot.

Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop to scoop up the dough and drop it onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart.

Sanding sugar, it won't melt when you bake it.

Like this.

Done.

Preheat oven to 375°, bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

I guess its done.

This has to be transferred to a wire rack to cool down.

It says cookies are best served immediately.

This is what it looks like after cutting it up.  I didn't try 'coz I was too full that day.

Mom insisted me taking this picture in her way.

Mom making her own vanilla extract.  Basically just soak the whole vanilla bean (chop it up) into a cup of Vodka (or Gin I forgot) for 3 months...  This vanilla extract has only been soaked for a day.

2 comments:

  1. By making your own vanilla extract, all you need is:-

    3 vanilla beans
    1 cup vodka
    A glass jar with tight fitting lid

    Split the beans lengthwise to expose all the good stuff inside. Then chop into pieces.
    Place the beans into your glass jar and top it up with vodka. Shake occasionally once in a while. Store in a dark, cool place for 3 months or longer. It lasts for years!

    Happy vanilla making!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pure vanilla favour when made with vodka, I also have a bottle made with Bacardi for my rum cakes. Only made them once and last for long long time.

      MJ

      Delete