Friday, August 10, 2012

St. Lawrence Market, Toronto

St. Lawrence Market is located at 95 Front Street East, Toronto.  There are hundreds of vendors selling wide selections of meat, veggies, seafood items, bread & pastries, fruits, dairy products, flowers...etc under one roof.  There are two floors in this building and I'm sure you can spend a nice afternoon here.  Finding a parking spot during weekends can be a hassle but you can always pay a small fee at the parking meter and park nearly.  http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/

St. Lawrence Market, I finally got a chance to take pictures here!!  I mean, FINALLY!!  =D

Woohoo~~~  Parking is not too hard to find, $2/hr (meters), that's very reasonable in this area I think!

Waa....I didn't realize the sky is that blue today!!  Perhaps its my camera that does this good job??!  Hohoo~~

Street vendors selling general goodies outside St. Lawrence Market.

I entered from the main entrance here!  =)  Too bad the pic is a bit blurry~

Assorted fresh berries.


More berries here!!  Wow~~~~  =D

Meat section, they have lots of fresh meats to choose from!  You can spend a nice morning here by just going through each aisle!

Store made kabobs, I used to buy kabobs here at St. Lawrence Market.

Smocked pork hock, looks yum!!

More meat items here!!

Steaks....

See how fresh these steaks are!!  This is good for roasting!

Assorted sausages, they're my favorite too!

Kabob from another store.

Assorted cheese!

I bet you some cheese items here you can't find them in local groceries stores!

Montery Jack w/ garlic; Marmora Chevre; cheddar w/ truffles & cheddar w/ chili.  They're not cheap!

Assorted antipasto, um....roasted bell pepper, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes and egg plant wrapped cheese?!

Um....feta cheese with red pepper??!  I took a picture of this 'coz they look cute~

Assorted olives, something I don't eat as well....

Waa....stuffed hot pepper?!

Sun dried tomatoes wrapped cheese?!  Looks good!!

This must be prosciutto wrapped cheese!


Looks delicious!!  Mmmmm.....


Roasted beef!!  They have all kinds of cold cuts and this is only one of the many!

More cold cuts!

Sausages, very similar to our Chinese preserved sausage I guess, but these are cooked perhaps?!

Sampling area!! =)

More samples here!!  Try me, try me!!  =D

...And of course, more cheeeeeesezz~~~~~

Both of these cheese here are soft cheese.  The right one came from the province of Burgundy, FR; the left one here...I have no clue...

Grouper head?!  My husband told me to take a picture of this fish head here.

Assorted seafood items!

Holy smoked salmon!!!  Mmmmm....

I wonder if these smoked salmon tasted the same or there really is a difference here?!  Like, fresh plain smoked salmon and fresh B.C smoked salmon??!

Fresh fish kebobs, that's pretty creative!!  Fresh bacon wrapped scallops, I've tried making these at home myself, it's pretty hard to pan fried it 'coz the toothpick loose easily!  ....Perhaps I don't have the skill to cook it??!  Ack....

Sausage spiral, that looks so neat!

This vendor is selling all kinds of meat that you hardly see at ordinary grocery stores!

Emu?!  Poor emu....  Do you know that emu eggs are dark green in color and each one is about 12cm long??!  They look gorgeous!!  Have no clue?!  Google it!  =)

Marinated semi boneless chicken, ready to bake and ready to eat?!  That suits me!!  LOL!!

Another closer shot at the steak.  Guess which part of the steak I love to eat most?!  Its rib eye!  =)

Waa....more assorted sausages here!  $1 each, buy ??  get one free!

Cold cut....that's a bit um....too raw...isn't it!!

Assorted sandwiches.

They have cake house/bakery here as well!!

Cute looking cookies, must be shortcake cookies, one of my favorite too!!

These fancy kebob cost more 'coz the chunk of meat is larger and they have also placed a slice of bell pepper in between each meat...


Pepper steak, $8/lb...

Swordfish steak, do you think I am capable of finishing a whole piece of fish here by myself??!

Atlantic salmon steak, looks very fresh but a bit expensive.

Yellowfin tuna steak!!  Give me the soya sauce and I will just grab a piece and eat as is!!  LOL!!

Pacific salmon, look very fresh and nice!!

Dry sea scallops, just simply call it super jumbo size scallops will do!!  =)

Mini pots....look cute, but what do you expect me to use these pots for??!

Egg cups & spoons....and other cooking utensils.  So cute~~~~~~~


Assorted cookie cutters, they are in color too!!  I like the dragonfly one!!


Fancy baking cups (paper), $6 for 24 counts?!  No kidding!


Other than cookie cutters, they also have assorted cookie stamps!!  Neat!!

Assorted bread.

Smoked jumbo shank bones??!

Kebobs again, jerk chicken & lemon grass chicken~  Looks good!

Assorted marinated pork chops.

Stuffed pork chop, I wondered what things do they use to stuff the pork chop here...

Seasoned frenched pork loins stuffed what??!  Looks good.

Jumbo holy smoked sausage!


Tomahawk steaks!!  Just grab the bone and eat as is once cooked!!  ......I'm just joking~~

Assorted sausages.  Mesquite and black bean & salsa sausage....flavor is kinda unique though.

Salmon belly, $2 per lb is considered pretty affordable.

King crab legs, lobster tails and um....I can't see what the other pack of stuff is...

Fresh salmon & halibut kebobs.  That looks delicious.

Pickled herring, something I used to love eating w/ crackers so much.

More king crab legs here.

Irish cheese w/ Guinness, sounds interesting and looks pretty too!

Freshly made assorted pasta.

Sliced cooked beef or bacon.

Food court I guess?!

 Here is another small dining area where you can sit and eat.

More shops downstairs!!  Let's go!!

Assorted flowers.  I've never seen sun flowers that's red in color!  Gerbera daisy, one of my favorite flower~


Coffee shop.

Assorted rice, you can choose whatever you like and buy from here.

$4.95 per kg, that's pretty expensive!!  With around $10 I can get 18lb already!

This is another type of sausage that has 'jelly fluid' inside...

Loose candies, just pick whatever you like here.

Assorted chocolates, must be from France or Belgium huh?!

Assorted earrings, that's a lot of earrings to choose from!!

Maple syrup, a very good souvenir for friends and family.

Assorted bakery goods.

...I wonder if this muffin here is sweet or salty....well obviously it looks healthy though.

More fancy pastries.

Assorted macarons, they aren't hard to make.

Pecan tarts.

A very fancy looking macarons, um...strawberry flavor??!

Green daikon radish sprouts.

Wheat grass for cats & dogs, I wonder what they do with the grass...

Here is a closer shot of whatever sprout this is...  =)

19 comments:

  1. I bought a whole piglet for BBQ, believe it not, price there is negotiable,the asking price was $50 and I got it at $35, I believe I could have got it for $25 if it's later time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole piglet(乳豬) for 50 bucks? That is pretty cheap.

      Delete
    2. There are only 2 vendors in the North Markets selling whole 乳豬, I got it the last time for $35 approx 15 lbs.

      Delete
    3. I thought it is illegal to sell baby pig. What do you do with the piglet? Are they good for bbq? It sounds like advanced level BBQ, but love to try to roast the whole piglet for bbq party.

      Delete
    4. I don't think it's illegal, you can always buy BBQ Piglet at BBQ House. I buy every year for back yard BBQ party. I can roast the pig as good.

      Delete
    5. I never thought of doing piglet BBQ, it is hard to roast with home equipment? Tell me more about your past experience, I like to try it too. Where else can you buy a piglet if not going downtown? Thanks.

      Delete
    6. Mr Dan,

      1. Your BBQ must wide enough to hold the whole piglet.
      2. Your BBQ must equip with a rotisserie kit.
      3. You have to buy a 針插 for the finishing touch to make the skin crispy. You can get one for under $10 from a Chinese kitchen supplies, there is one couple blocks south of Steeles on the left of Kennedy (near Chiu Chow Boy).

      Go to this site, http://baike.baidu.com/view/1690157.htm

      the ingredients and preparation is more or less the same you can just adjust to your taste.

      The most important part is 上皮 and 插皮 in order to get crispy 芝麻皮.

      You can roast your pig in natural colour 原色 or add in a dash of red food coloring together with 上皮料 to give your piggy a bright red colour like those from the BBQ house.

      Delete
    7. If BBQ whole piglet is too much trouble, make BBQ pork 义燒 instead.

      Ingredients:

      Pork shoulder 梅頭 cut into size
      Red bean curb 南乳
      Hoisin Sauce 海鮮醬
      Dark Sou Sauce
      Cooking Wine
      Salt
      Sugar
      Plenty of water (otherwise meat won't be tender and juicy)
      Food colouring (optional)

      The trick is to BBQ in low/medium heat or you get charcoal instead. =D

      Delete
    8. Thanks for the recipes. But I think roasting piglet is more challenging. I can probably try that when I go camping with a big crowd. Need to buy more equipments. I just got a Weber bbq stove.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
    9. If you are doing the BBQ at the camp ground why don't you just charcoal broiled it, you don't even need a BBQ stove, all you need is charcoal and a long BBQ fork, you can buy that at the kitchen supplies I mentioned as well. Then it is called 明爐燒 instead of 掛爐。

      Delete
    10. Yea, that is my planning. But I doubt if the size of the grill at ground ground is long enough for a piglet.

      Delete
    11. Why you bother to use the grill there if you are tenting ? Just make one yourself. Years ago back in HK I saw people roasted piglet or duck outdoor using just a small charcoal stove 炭爐, the result was as good.

      Delete
    12. What I meant outdoor here was on the street right outside the eatery.

      Delete
  2. How do you compare St. Law Market to St. Jacob? Does it worth the drive to Waterloo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at that as a fun trip to spend a day, they both worth going once awhile.

      Delete
    2. St. Lawrence Market has 2 buildings, the north building (North Market) just across the road on the north side only open on Saturdays.

      Delete
  3. I saw those Egg cup and spoon in Winner, 5.99 only.....what a rip off in St Lawrence Market for those stuff =_=||

    hareluya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so fresh. Too bad I don't see anything from veggie section, I hope the carry Ontario grown produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggie section is in the North Market where you can find more delicatessen and meat as well.

    ReplyDelete