Saturday, November 5, 2011

Picture of My Day: Santa Monica Municipal Airport


Santa Monica Airport (SMO) is located about 3 km from the Pacific Ocean and 10 km north of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), California.  I was going through my 'old stuff' and came across with my pilot guide...  Santa Monica is where I used to live and I took several flight lessons at SMO while I was in the States.  It was fun flying with a low wing Cessna.  Take off is easy: throttle all the way in as you begin to travel down the runway, and pull the handling wheel towards yourself when you hit about 100km/hr.  Landing is the hardest part for me (not to mention those fuel consumption and travel distance calculation)...  From my memory...(forget about launching all those flaps and communicating with the tower): first you need to approach the runway in a pretty high speed, point the nose towards the ground as if you're just gonna crash the plane, then pull the nose up 'at the critical moment' and land with the rear gears...  I didn't get my pilot license 'coz I don't know how to land without help... Landing freaks me out although that's the 101 thing in flying.  Plus, I needed to do a solo flight from Santa Monica to Las Vegas, calculating my own flight course, fuel consumption, wind direction, and estimate my time of arrival + 3 exams... Crap, ain't no gonna make it!!

No comments: