Sunday, August 7, 2011

Taste of The Danforth 2011

This is my first time going to this Greektown Taste of The Danthforth.  Three days in a roll, City Toronto will close down 2km of the Danforth Ave. from Broadview to Jones just to hold this event.  Food vendors and retailers were everywhere, it was so crowded and it's not easy to squeeze through.  Taking pictures here was a challenge to me 'coz some of the food vendors were a bit 'harsh' and I needed to snap and go.  It took me over 3 hours to finished the walk and I was totally exhausted...

Pilaros Taste of The Danforth 2011!

I started my journey from Jones Street here.

Charcoal broiled sweet corn here.

One of the performance stage.  They were performing  'The Immortals Battle (sword fight)' here.

I guess this must be one of Greek's street food BBQ quail?!

Retailers trying to sell their products here as well!

Streets were getting packed as we were walking closer to the center of the festival.

'Don't be afraid of the dark' - people trying to scare you in this spoogly decorated cargo container.

Greek pizza?  I don't know what these things are...

This food vendor was mean!  He said in order for me to take pictures of his food, I need to buy from him!

Gyros?!

They're selling some sort of pastry here.

Souvlaki!  My favorite! =)

Charcoal broiled pork!  Looks yum!

This is another shot.

This is the chef behind the scene!

Charcoal broiled quails - must be a popular dish in Greek!

Wow!!  It's stuffed inside!!!  I wonder how it tastes!

More grills.

Super long line up in front of this Panebello truck here!

They are one of the famous company that makes frozen pizzas.

They're giving out free pizza and I just took a picture here.  Waiting time was at least 20 mins and I was half exhausted under the 30°C sun!

Poutine?!

Grilled lamb chop I guess...

Waa.....I didn't know that they have freshly squeezed cane juice too in their culture!!

Grilled souvlaki, as common as us Chinese grilling lamb skewers!  LOL!

I have no clue of what this is....not even sure if these things are salty or sweet...

It's some sort of pastry which I don't know the exact name of it, but I know it taste good!!  They either stuffed cheese or spinach inside!  =)

Pilaros, the largest sponsor of this event.  They give out free toot bags which includes a small bottle of olive oil.  Also, they offered free samples of their foodies here.  PS, just learnt that you can find their products at Costco too! =)

Lining up for my toot bag, I took a picture of this building here.

You can get this mug for $7...

...and with the mug, you can drink these sodas!  PS, refills for $3

Bio Best - offering samples of their yogurts.

One of the retailers there selling these nice crystallized stones.

Also these clay vase.

Not only Greek food, you can also find Chinese food here in Taste of The Danforth!

Deep fried stuffs.

These glass bottles look nice, and I wonder what they are for.


People enjoyed their afternoon here in these restaurants.

Most of the food vendors covered up their food for hygiene purpose so I can't tell what they're selling exactly.

Souvlaki again!

This food vendor must be selling Chinese food, I can tell by their steamer.

Very busy huh!

??  No clue of what these things are still...

It was a damned hot day and you can find vendors selling drink everywhere.

Logan Ave., whatever language it shows at the bottom sign must be Greek!

Chilled fruits are one of the popular items here in this street event.

One of the local retailer that sells veggies and fruits.

Chilled watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, all for $1, you name it!  =)

One of the most popular food vendor.

Local bars.


Wow!!  Lots of meat being marinated, stacked up and grilled!  *Forgot the name of this thing.

Ricotta Cannoli - I thought this is an Italian dessert?!

Making crepes here.

I waited and waited for this to finish, then I snapped and go!

They were doing a massive grill here.  It was over 30°C here and they were facing a grill!  Oh gosh!  I wonder how they could stand this!!  @@

A closer shot of their grills.

Sabra, giving out free samples here...which looks like a mashed chick pea dipping sauce to me...  It was too salty and didn't taste good....perhaps eating with bread would taste better.

Must be some sort of stuffing for the Gyros.

Here I see these things again!!

Waaa....just snapped this shot before the lady wrapped up the bun!  =)

A Harley appears in front of a Shoppers Drug Mart from no where!

Poor doggie must be waiting for his master here.

More Grills.

Another stage here located at Broadview, I've done my 2km (on one side only...) here...

My 2nd half of the journey starts here...

Peacock feather, looks brilliant under the sun!

Jamaican goodies here!

Looks good huh!  Which, I don't know what this is.  I know there is lamb stew in it that's all!

This yo-man open coconuts like a machine!  Within 3 seconds he is done!!


 Chop chop chop!

See how crowded this place is!!

Grilled pineapple here!

Not too sure of what this is...caramelized onions on the left?!

Paella?  Spanish seafood rice?!

This thing doesn't look delicious to me...

Shawarma!!!!!!!!!!!!  I finally remember the name la!!!!  =)

Those flower deco looks nice...same as the 'moosehead' hat those fellow are wearing.

'The Friendly Butcher'

Selling burgers here.

Looks yum!

The whole street is decorated by these pretty plants

Calamari - they claimed that they make the best calamari here on Danforth.

 Indian food I guess?!  I recognized the samosa here!

 Chinese food again.

 Different from the souvlaki, here is the grilled chicken skewer (in Chinese style of course).

 Lonely smoothie here...

 Road closed, here is a shot of a small local street.

 Gyro, I snapped shot it before it was being wrapped.

 Indian food, that's all I know.

Grilled sausage.

 This lady wears this and walked around on the street like a balloon fairy!  =)

 More shawarmaaaa.....

 Thai I guess?!  I can tell by the name of the food!

 Squash is out!  Reminds me of Halloween.

 Tim Horton selling mini timbits at the street corner.

 Grilled corn - looks a bit burnt!

 Freshly squeezed lemonade.

 More of these??  Snacks?!

More souvlaki!

 I thought at first this is a grilled scallop, but when I look closer now, it looks like a crab shell!  I wonder what they can make this out of!

 Grilled shrimp and salmon skewers.

 Retailers selling drinks here.

Yum!  The first time I saw this thing was at Costco and they were promoting it.  They set up a sampling booth there and ever since I tasted it, I love it!

 Grills souvlaki again.

 Mashed pork meat on a bun - if this it what I will call it...

 Um...I don't know what this is.  Looks like this thing is tasteless...and made from cornmeal?!  *Correct me if  I'm wrong!

 I can't believe these are all the seasonings that you can sprinkle on a grilled corn!

 Waa....see how many corns there are!!

 $0.50 per peacock feather, I think this is a very fair price.

 Another shot of a closed local small street.

 More shawarma here!!  =)

 Wow!!  Can't believe he is shaving the meat off by using an electric tool!  I thought they usually do it by using a knife!

 On stage performance - The Immortals War Dance: Levendia X??!

 ???  Greek bagels??!

 These pastry looks nice but I don't know what they are...  I only know those green stuff on the pasty is pistachio.

 Busy pigeon trying to find food here.

It's time to go home after all.

No comments: