Saturday, August 20, 2011

Livebearer Tank

As you may know, I have a 20 gallon livebearer tank at home.  My tank mostly consist of platies, guppies and balloon mollies (most of them died...).  I've started with several males and pregnant females, in less than half a year, those females have given birth to over a hundred fries!  I keep some of the larger fries in this 20 gallon tank (140+ fish) while the smaller one I keep them in a 10 gallon tank. 

 My 20 gallon tank.  Doesn't look like it has over 100 fish huh?!  I don't know why, but seems that all my plants are not growing well in the tank...

Chow time!!

 Seems that all these fish focus themselves at one particular spot!!

 More fish gather together!

 Guess what they are doing here in front of me!!  =)  These fish are trying to eat the food that's stuck between the pebbles.

 A platy fry hide inside the 'bush'...I seldom see this happens.

 This might be a home breed male guppy.  Looks as if it has wear a long skirt!

This female guppy is staying low at the bottom.  She will be giving birth at any time.

 Seeing anything here??!  Look closer and you will see a guppy fry right above a blue pebble.

 I have a lot of wagtail platies in the tank but only 2 batman platies and this is one of them!  See it's tail, does it looks like a batman logo to you?

 These two blue mickey mouse platies are a pair - bother & sister...  The one on the left is courting the one in front of him.

 Seeing through my decor and I see my little wagtail platy. =)


 I bought this male platy recently from Big Al's and I like him very much.  Not sure what type of platy it is but surely it has something to do with Mickey Mouse.

Here is a much clear shot of my favorite fish in the tank.  He swims so fast and it's really hard to take picture of him.

 Two males (wagtail & blue mickey) courting the female (blue mickey) in the middle... Mmm...I wonder what their fries will look like!

 One of the home breed female guppy which was crooked when she was born.

My favorite balloon molly.  I bought close to a dozen of these to start with but they all died...  She is the only female left in the tank...

Changing water from time to time, my husband will keep them in a container for an hour or so.

Whatever you see here that's huge (like those wagtails, matured F/M guppies) were bought from local fish stores.  Anything other than that will be home breed.

She is one of the female balloon molly I like very much but unfortunately she couldn't make it...

3 comments:

  1. 嘩! 你的 tank 好勁!! 我都有養 crayfish,由一隻變咗四十隻,:))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od6_dbVXERY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your Youtube link!! Your crayfish are so CUTE!!! =D How did you breed them? I had 3 to start with... 2F/1M and they used to live together. As they were growing, they started to fight so I gave a small one to Mom. Then this April the M/F started to breed (I then realize one of them is a female...) The male clipped off both his gf's claw, the gf was all stressed and died... My husband then figured Mom's crayfish is a female but I didn't dare to put them together 'coz the male will easily kill her too... 請指教~~ Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My crayfish is asexual and is capable of self-reproduction. Fist of all, my friend gave me a small crayfish. After four months, I found the crayfish was carrying lots of egg under her tail. 6 weeks later, she released one hundred young crayfish from her tail and she died.

    I have no idea how to raise them and I went to Big Al's. The staff recommend using a larger tank with lots of rocks, plastic flowerpots and shells to create hiding places for them. Good food, light and temp are all important. But I found they flight and kill each other all the time. :p

    ReplyDelete