Sunday, June 5, 2011

Toronto China Town #2

I went to China town this weekend again 'coz Mom had to see a herbalist.  China town is always a fun place to visit as each time I go there, I discovered something new.  Saw some really nice graffiti this time so I took some pictures of them and posted here together with some of my 'mo liu' pictures.  I will probably do a graffiti series next time.

 Welcome to Kensington!



 '三漁'


Guu!!  Found this drawing at Bathurst/Bloor.



 These three pictures (and some other graffiti that I didn't take) actually formed a Chinese traditional story.

 Mom's prescription from her herbalist.  There are 12 herbal items in this formula (I think) and I can only recognize a few there.

 Mom's herbal mix after all.  Boil these herbs in 4 bowls of water and drink the stuff when it evaporates down to 1 bowl of water.  Yikes!!

 Here are three portions, which means she needs to drink these stuff three times.  Yikes x 3!!

 The assistant put those herbal medicines into small paper bags.

 Grinder - this is for grinding Chinese herbal medicines.

 Chopper - for chopping larger pieces of Chinese herbal medicines.

 Dried sea cucumber.

 Went into a Chinese store and saw these cute little ceramic 'chicken', so I just took a picture of it.

 Next to the ceramic chicken is this ceramic 'rabbit', which looks a bit awkward.

 Ceramic turtles.  It's very light in weight and you can actually put it in your aquarium as a decoration.  It flows on top like a 'real turtle'.

 Hay hat.

 Garlic grown by local street vendors.  Doesn't look like any garlic to me no matter which angle I look at it...

 Some sort of Vietnam plant.  Don't know what this is exactly but surely we can cook it and eat it.

 Shiso, just bought it for $1.

 Brine squid in Chinese style.  滷水墨魚

 ...I don't know this in English, but this is some sort of brine pig intestine in Chinese style.

 No clue of what it is, perhaps these are Vietnam egg plants?  My first time seeing it.

 Another kind of veggie grown by local street vendor, don't know what it is.

 Some sort of Vietnam flower??  A Vietnam lady was trying to explain what kind of flower to us but we couldn't understand her.

 Lychee - selling at $7.99 per pound!

 Vietnam rice dumpling wrapped in leaves.


 Dried shrimp.

 My all time favorite - dumplings!!

 Coconut tart & egg tart.

 Almond pastry.

 Mom's lunch - egg tart x 6!!!

No comments: