Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blue High Fin Mickey Mouse Platy

I have a pair of blue high fin Mickey Mouse Platy and I've been keeping them for almost half a year now.  I started with a M/F pair which I got from Big Al's.  Then I added another female which I bought from Frank's Aquarium.  The male never likes his mate from Big Al's and he only courted the one from Frank's.  I guess that's because the one from Frank's was a bit pregnant and more mature when I first bought it.

This female from Frank's has given birth to several baby platies for the past half year, all her fries were cute and healthy living in my 10 gallon fry tank, no death rate.  Her belly usually remains fat and round although she has given birth, which makes me think that she always keep some fries inside her belly no matter what, maybe they're just not mature enough to be released...   Things got worsen recently, she released all her fries and her belly is super flat!  She always hide inside my piggy decor just to avoid the courtship from her mate.

 Sad to see...the female is hiding, and her boyfriend is stalking her right outside the decor!!  If the boyfriend don't see her, he will go crazy chasing other fish (not courting).  But if he sees her, he will dash inside the decor and chase her out...

 My piggy decor has become a pretty popular spot in the tank.  A nosy Balloon Molly peak through the hole looking at me while I was taking a picture of her.

 Now it has become a resting place for this Bandit Cory.

 My fries in my 10 gallon tank are growing big and it's time to move them over to the 20 gallon tank.  My husband has selected and separated these larger ones here, there are almost 50 counts!!

 A closer shot of the fries.  There are guppies, sunset platies and blue mickey mouse platies here.  Don't think there is any balloon molly fries though.

 Fries ready to be released into the 20 gallon tank.

Once these fries were released, they sank to the bottom...  It takes some times for them to adopt to the new environment here...

No comments: