Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Canton Wonton 廣東雲吞

I didn't make Canton Wonton for a long time because I can't make it taste like my mom's and I don't know how she makes it (even through she has taught me about the seasoning).  I just know how to wrap it and cook it!  This looks very similar to Mom's product but it still taste different.  I wondered when I can learn her technique.  One thing she has taught me, is that you need to add a lot of sesame oil into the mixture...maybe I should try that next time!

1, Dice some bunches of green onions (I've used 6 bunches here)

2, Prepare the shrimps.  It's recommend that you cut each shrimp in half, just for easy wrapping.  (I've used 2 pounds of shrimp here)

3, You'll need some minced pork too, about 1 pound.  Add the diced green union, shrimp and pork together + 1 egg as well.  For seasoning, I've added soya sauce, white pepper powder, some Chinese cooking wine (optional), oyster sauce and lots of sesame oil.

4, Mix well and set in the fridge for 4-5 hours or over night.  You need to chill your mixture a bit so that it's easier to wrap.


5, Wrapped wonton, ready to go into the boiling water.

6, Once the water boils, put a few wonton into the cooking pot and stir them a bit so that the skin won't stick to the bottom of the pot.  Also, i.) DO NOT close the lid; ii.) DO NOT put any seasoning into the water.  Cook for another 1-2 minutes once the wonton is floating like the above picture.

7, In a separate bowl, put some seasoning in it and add some hot water to form a soup base.  The seasoning I usually put is some chicken stock powder (don't know how it's call), Maggie sauce and a little hint of sesame oil.

No comments: